Solutions Stoichiometry 5E Lesson Plan (5 days) (click for full document)
Students will be able to:
- conduct research into water quality testing for concepts that apply to precipitation reactions
- make a solution of a known concentration
- dilute and determine the concentration of the new solution
- create and collect a precipitate
- evaluate an unknown solution using stoichiometry
- report scientific findings in a scientific poster format
- evaluate peers for scientific methods and reporting via a mini-poster symposium
- Engage: Introduces the idea of clean water as a commodity (Global Awareness!) This activity is to set the stage for the importance of clean water and how extreme cases can become serious socioeconomic issues. Students will learn ONE technique for analyzing water in the upcoming days.
- Explore: Determine the molarity of various solutions, especially how to make and dilute them.
- Explain: Precipitate reactions and stoichiometry. This day follows normal classroom instructions for teaching these concepts.
- Elaborate: Determine the amount of Barium ions in an unknown water sample
- Evaluate: Compare your results with the other groups through a poster symposium